1928, my time in the war part 6
used
But the next day was again used. With this we also had losses. Two soldiers were killed and one was wounded. The writing is now so fast there, but because it was the first loss I've experienced with me has also hit hard again. When we had brought a tank to stop, have a lot of Russian soldiers jumped from the tank and started to open fire on us. You have clearly seen from where the bazooka was shot down. It was a machine-gun fire and it rained on us. Only then have We fired back. We have thus forced into the cover. Then we could almost unchallenged hold three people and the vehicle can produce. Then we retreated to safer climes. So we went back and although we have asked through the next aid station. That lasted all too long. For two all the help came too late. We did not have the true and yet cursed with the paramedics. They saw themselves from totally revised and hardly pay any attention. One had, thank God, only a flesh wound.
I had until then no deaths and no serious injuries seen. Thus, the sight was there for me again a terrible new experience. I could hardly somewhere to look. Add to that the smell was there. It was unbearable for me. I rushed out.
had received two days later we again substitute. With three very young recruits we have been replenished.
When we finally had a use for this neighborhood, we found there a lot before Christmas. Even at dinner we drank wine. Then it stuck too. We have obviously been drinking, until nothing went in, or slept through them all. I even have the actual booze no longer even noticed. I was previously a long time. I had been more caring then placed on the straw. If it had been during the time an alarm, air attack or appeal, it would be no more can. We probably would have slept through everything. It happens even in broad daylight.
appeal
We slept so until the next morning. We were almost right merrily, the alcohol I was still powerful in the limbs, as it was said: "appeal". We had all lined up. We were lectured that we have at the front of cleanliness must pay and how dangerous it is to engage in different girls and that you always see everything that is needed for the needs and so on. After that we had groups for so-called 'tail Parade ". We had to take off us and naked to appear before a field doctor. The ordered, "foreskin," I pushed the back now so a little bit. Since shouted at me, "All". So once again I pushed a little further back. But he was still not enough. He suddenly reached for himself and pushed the foreskin completely back with a vengeance now that I screamed in pain. Having now beäugelt everything I could resign. The others were laughing all over my, well, we say that shyness. So it was not even approached in the survey, where we also had to stand naked in front of a doctor and a doctor. But such a parade I had not taken part. Also, I was still completely blameless but in the meantime.
was so on that use to use.
Once when we go behind the front with the vehicle were, we were fired upon. Shouted a partisan. The lieutenant ordered the driver to proceed quickly. All had pulled their guns and shot up like blazes that stuff. But I myself did not see anything. I've even pulled the trigger a few times, but completely aimless. I think my colleagues have not seen it. They simply kept only in the direction from which the shots came. This must be remarked that none of us and not even the car has moistened. Who knows who has since shot at whom?
When we had to once again line up for roll call, we were all again very uncomfortable to Mute. And then there was a real Celebration. The reason: "The Dear Leader has fallen for the people and country!" There are three gun salute and we all sang, "I was a comrade" It was a shock to everyone because it had not thought of. Everyone wondered how it was done for and how because that will now go further. But it did not have any answers. I do not even know who was intended to succeed. I think Doenitz had to deal with this. It went off course, all sorts of speculations as to whether this would now change something and what. But first changed for us at all. We continued to use.
War is from
always longed for, but hard to believe
One day we drove back to our location, of course, columns of soldiers past, all marching in the opposite direction. The asked us what we really wanted in the wrong direction yet? "The war is over!" We were shocked at such words. "Children, says not so loud, otherwise you have to set against the wall" "You are probably from yesterday: The war is really" We thought they are crazy or drunk!. I do not entirely sure, but I think I even still believed in ultimate victory. I was so stupid. Or better so blind. We had knitted command to drive to use. We were the ones always used in the opposite direction to drive to the west, fleeing soldiers. When we received the next day had a stake, later, the same happened to us. The west fleeing soldiers mocked us. "Why do not you have more weapons? The war is over! "We believe our ears not to be trusted. inquire until our lieutenant went and we then told, "The war is truly over!" But, our General Schorner had ordered us, still, as long as possible to hold back the advancing, Russian troops, so that even as many German soldiers were not in the Russian, but in American captivity could reach. The demarcation line was Budweiser. But the next day was for us the end. We were already close to the boundary line between Russians and Americans. The lieutenant let us line up. We had wegerfen all weapons. This means that the assault rifles, we have broken even on the nearest tree in two. Then we drove to the west. We came to a prison camp of the Americans. We were sitting on. The lieutenant let us line up, made the American message. He reported: "An officer, two officers and thirteen soldiers to surrender." The Ami took casually pointed to the message and pointed us to a place on the lawn. We drove along with our Steyer cars on the space allotted to us. The American soldier had not even searched us for weapons or ammunition.
In this camp were about 50 000 German soldiers. No tent, no. Only the large meadow. At night, to illuminate a vehicle placed on the boundary of the camp and set on fire. That was nice and bright and you could see if any escapes. We were very happy that the war was over for us first. Finally, we did not have to endure four days longer. We were absolutely the last, for which the war was over. We were also pleased that we had enough to eat on our vehicle. We could even provide others with it. The flight
Now, however, went to all sorts of rumors. For example, Berlin and around it was all occupied by the Russians. Since I wanted to but Berlin, so home I was in a dilemma. On one hand I wanted to get out of the prison camp and on the other hand I did not want the Russians, who have yet again put me in a prison camp. Then I learned, however, the Charlottenburg district to be occupied by the British. This encouraged me to run away but then, immediately, I said to myself, before the security measures will be amplified. With my few school English, I chatted at night with a guard holding Ami. I told him quite bluntly that he would do me a big favor if he would only look for a while in the other direction. The nice man has understood me exactly and looked the other way. And I was gone.
Although it was night, but quite bright I knew I have to walk south to cross the border to Germany. On the day I had noticed me where South is. I also knew there are about 25 km to the border. I wanted as fast as possible away from here. The others, with whom I spoke before, wanted to wait because it was said that there are the Americans good food and good treatment. But I wanted to go home and above all quickly away before starting to register and before others decide to flee. I was afraid that the streets are then full of refugees, which are then jointly can quickly be infected again. On the other hand, I was also afraid to walk alone. But I soon found no one who participated. So I ran as quickly as possible towards the border. I just ran on dirt roads, or sometimes across country. I dared not to the street, especially since I became aware then there is always some movement. I could not so, there were Americans or were they German soldiers. Later, I saw people running it frequently. Usually it was 3 or 4 people. I concluded that it had to be German and I could not all be too far from the border. But I dared not make contact, because I did not know anything for certain. And then I saw a large group to another was received and it seemed to beat up suddenly. A voice and a Brüllerei began. I did not know what to make of it. I could not imagine that the German soldiers beat up each other. All this took less than 5 minutes. Then there was silence again, the people went away again, away from my area. As the scene of action to my left and was not in my direction, I ran for a short time more quickly. When it was almost light on, I was in the vicinity of houses. I wanted to see where I was. But as I found nothing to read, I had ran closer. I went into the small grove of bushes and trees a few hundred meters away, and now I could see a restaurant. I know no longer, as the restaurant was called, but it was a German name. So I felt safe, to be already on German soil. I then ran up to a farmhouse and came into the barn. A woman was the cows to supply. I asked where I was for here. It was Germany, but already occupied by the Americans. I told her that I come from near Ceske Budejovice and want to go home. What they said, since you're through. As the Czechs beat but together all Germans. But now I was in Germany and there are the Americans. She thought I was just a child and I need not fear the Americans have. Despite the uniform would but none believe that I was a soldier.
The march to Dachelhofen
The Americans
I'm so brave then went even further in the day. The woman also told me how to walk on. So, I was not too early to run again in the north, but more to the northwest, because otherwise I would come back to the Czech Republic. The
went well for two days until I took up then two American soldiers. One was such a very large black man. The laughed at me full, and then asked where I want to go. But the other suddenly saw the skulls on the mirrors of my uniform. So I had to go along with you. In the neighborhood I was being interrogated. Man I thought I was in the SS but I did not know why that was so important to them and why they were suddenly not so friendly. I had to take off the shirt and they examined my arms, I did not understand now more than ever. At what force I was, they wanted to know now. I had my pay book. I showed it to you. And then everything was clear. "Ah, tanks!" Yes, I was at the tanks. Now they were kind to me again. On the contrary, they gave me food and drink. They also said that I actually was still a child and were very nice to me. A Ami said that I should get me civilian clothes or to me at least the legs cut off to run around in shorts. No one would hold me then as a soldier or even imprisoned. Then they gave me cigarettes and let me run again.
the Council of the Americans I put the same into practice. In the evening I asked again in a farm house, if I could sleep in the barn. The farmers were really just always afraid that they also had to cater for us still. But I told the Americans that I had to get food and do not need, then I could stay. But I asked me to cut off the pant legs. She did that and I also sew the border around it. Then she traded me for my military jacket for another. She gave me without me asking them to present a short pants. She kept it from my long dirty Military. You have to say that it now went to the middle of May and it was very warm even at the time. She told me about her two boys, but they were older than me. The woman was also waiting for the return of the boys.
My shoes were still good. I could clean the house from the opportunity to say really. Ah yes, a pair of stockings she gave me. Thus equipped, I could continue my march. This cute wife has given me even more tips on how I should run. So as a civilian child I had to run no more fear on the day on the road.
The attack
But again came between. Twelve people came up to me and stopped me. They were already possible with all equipped. For example, they all had several watches to. They were festooned with all sorts. Now I still pack my bag, because nothing much was in it. A little tobacco, two cartons of cigarettes, a pair of binoculars and above all more papers from me, including my flight log. I had received a letter from home in January and I carried around with me. Anyway, they took me off everything. I have tried to negotiate. I also wanted to keep my log book. I was quite proud that I was flying and I was able to prove with the flight log. Some of them spoke broken German. I do not know where they came from. They even allowed me to run but again. I made fast that I got on. In the evening I noted, I had saved something. My pay book was in the back pocket of trousers shortened. They had not discovered. The pay book, I still have. I've put in my mouth after I had to show the Americans. The panniers I had probably not at hand.
Dachelhofen
In early June, I arrived to Schwandorf. My mother's brother lived with his family in Dachelhofen at Schwandorf. Of course I had there because my cousins and the Achim Ingo lived there. Also I knew about in Dachelhofen because I was there once as a child to visit and I am good with my two cousins understand. It had been there in Dachelhofen a power plant were installed. Not too far from brown coal was mined. My uncle is an electrician of Berlin moved down there. In Berlin, there was hardly time to work. He was actually armature winder. Well, that Bayernwerk for me was easy to find and I also found the apartment again, although that was some ten years back. I rang in joyful anticipation. My Aunt Hedi opened the door and was astonished to see me. "Well, where do you come forth now, but not from Berlin? But why do you come to us? You know, Uncle Walter was here, local group leader. Uncle Walter is locked, that is interned. "Of course I did not know that he was the local leaders. I could I did not explain why they imprisoned him why. I got to know everything first, so gradually. But Achim and Ingo were at home. I was overjoyed to have finally found relatives. So, naturally I was allowed to remain there. I would pretty much be back soon on. My aunt persuaded me but I get them some work so I get papers back. I needed some kind of ID card or residence certificate, so I do not get any problems later, when I go to Berlin. Also I got with the paper food stamps and the guys ass not all gone. My aunt heard around and found something right now for me in a nursery. First I had to prune roses. I got to a leather glove and a pair of scissors and you went off that. Unfortunately pricks the thorns of the roses carried even through the leather. Also, I had to clean weeds and sometimes between the strawberries do so. But then told the woman, I think that was the owner that I can deal with such a little horse. But she had no one and had to do it yourself. She had a mule, a small animal. I have the need to harness, as they showed me. Then I hooked a small car. So I had to go out on a lawn, mow grass, recharge and go home. I was happy finally to have a reasonable task. had a little fear I already know if I would manage to deal with the mule. He turned out to be well educated and intelligent. I came prima clear to him. He was previously employed in the army in the mountains. He was not going anywhere, could not recognize it. I was driving course usually only on roads and as he ran around all the puddles, so that the car was often thrown back and forth. Only once he has annoyed me. I had no stick, and the need is not either. The mules trotted steadily, but slowly along the road. In order to move him to a slightly faster pace, before I cut out a small wicker. But when I took the willow only forward, he is immediately recognized and trotted off. Not even 50 meters was a curve. The wagon tipped over. The beast stopped and turned his head to me back. I am still firmly convinced that the donkey laughed at me. Now I had the car back on its wheels, but without unwind could not. Then I had all the grass to recharge. After I had it clamped again, he ran into his routine on again. I think he had previously only convinced that the willow was nowhere to be seen.
0 comments:
Post a Comment